[Edu-sig] docs.tutorial function example - too complicated

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 20:19:27 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Jurgis Pralgauskis
<jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently more and more schools are trying Py,
> so studens read tutorial docs from time to time...
> and one of main programming (architecture) subjects starts with quite
> a mathematical and unpractical example..
>
> http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/controlflow.html#defining-functions
> It's like teaching to pilot airplane, prior to bicycle and car :)

Depends who you are teaching. There is a fine line between dumbing
down and just right...

If it is in elementary schools, I agree that is too advanced. However,
Fibonacci numbers were taught in junior high when i was in school.
When is it introduced nowadays?

I also use it all the time in workshops, tutorials or training, but
the youngest I've taught (beside my children) were 15. It is perfect
for me to introduce a module or a new concept to my audience. For
example:

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/11/fibonacci.html
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/11/fibospeak.html
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/11/fibovisual.html

I've even used it more recently to demo Brython, Python for your web browser:

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/12/brython-browser-python.html

Francois

--
www.pyptug.org  -  raspberry-python.blogspot.com