[Edu-sig] docs.tutorial function example - too complicated

Jurgis Pralgauskis jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:47:30 CET 2012

> currently more and more schools are trying Py,
> > so studens read tutorial docs from time to time...
> > and one of main programming (architecture) subjects starts with quite
> > a mathematical and unpractical example..
> >
> > http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/controlflow.html#defining-functions
> > It's like teaching to pilot airplane, prior to bicycle and car :)
>
> Depends who you are teaching. There is a fine line between dumbing
> down and just right...
>
> If it is in elementary schools, I agree that is too advanced. However,
> Fibonacci numbers were taught in junior high when i was in school.
> When is it introduced nowadays?

Well, I teach in College for future sysadmins...
and most of them  are quite poor at math... :/

and I also teach in high school - in math they have just arithmetic and
geometric progressions - but only next year after I have programming :/
and Fibonacci is not easy somehow... especially for some girls..

so, if we'd like to position Python as good language for learning
programming,
I'd propose to give simpler examples of functions first :)

one more point - one guy localized documentation to my native language,
and I could use this as good source for students, but functions part
wouldn't work...
I mean - official tutorial is probably most used - so it's important to be
understandable :)

--
Jurgis Pralgauskis
tel: 8-616 77613;