[Edu-sig] Teaching Python via PyGame

Naomi Ceder naomi.ceder at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 18:03:02 CET 2013

Hi,

I don't know if Al Sweigart is on this list, but he has a book on that very
subject... *Making Games with Python & Pygame* -
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Games-Python-Pygame-Sweigart/dp/1469901730. He
also has *Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python *
http://www.amazon.com/Invent-Computer-Games-Python-Edition/dp/0982106017

I've never really looked at them closely, but they seem to be highly
regarded, so you might check them out.

Also, Warren and Carter Sande's *Hello World* has a chapter using Pygame to
write a little downhill skier game...

Probably others here have some other ideas as well...

Cheers,
Naomi

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Fred Sells <bu4fred at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm an old hand at Python, but really a programmer by trade, not an
> educator.
>
> Most programming courses that I've taken were very boring due to their
> focus on text input and response.
>
> I am exploring teaching Python to high school seniors as part of an
> advanced program.
>
> I thought that a more interactive environment like PyGame would provide
> more stimulation and a better understanding of  logic thinking that the
> typical exercises I was exposed to.  For instance, tick-tac-toe, checkers
> and monopoly can all be children of the base "BoardGame" class.  And while
> tick-tac-toe may be practical, I doubt if checkers or monopoly would be.
>
> Can anyone point me to some links that support using Python as an
> introduction to computing at an advanced high school level
>
> and
>
> Can anyone point me to some reference material on tools used to teach
> python?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

Naomi Ceder