[Edu-sig] Getting more involved with education and the PSF...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:54:20 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Jeff Elkner <jeff at elkner.net> wrote:

> Great!  So it seems we have two short term goals:
>
> 1. Get someone to agree to maintain the website (I'm volunteering if
> there isn't anyone else chomping at the bit to do it).

Thanks for stepping up Jeff.  We've not had an active web wrangler in
awhile.

I did it for awhile, then Andre, now you.

Our heritage is CP4E in a lot of ways.

2. Reach out to Selena Deckelman to help her with her efforts to
> bridge the gap between developers and K-12 teachers (a noble goal
> indeed!).

In one sense there's no gap:  many teachers just need a working Python to
teach whatever, and that has already been developed.

If what you need to do is teach Python, there's nothing more you need than
what's already freely available.

In Oregon we now give math credit for programming courses and it doesn't
have to be AP-anything (not just elective non-credit courses teach Python).

That was a breakthrough I was lobbying for, and got.

> Do we agree that edu-sig is the sensible place to hold this conversation?

Why not?

> If we do, can we ask Selena to join the list if she is not already
> there?  I'll also encourage folks like Lee Harr (cc'd here), the
> creator of the wonderful Pynguin environment
> (https://code.google.com/p/pynguin/) to join the list and the
> discussion.

The more the merrier in my view.