[Edu-sig] Python5 @ OST / HK (science fiction)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:55:00 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Kirby Urner <kurner at oreillyschool.com>
wrote:

> I've actually written some code for Python5 and
> it's a work in progress.  Tractors instead of Turtles
> but as a way of introducing Turtles i.e. I'm not
> "anti-Turtle" in using a Tractor instead.  A subclass
> of Tractor, CropCircleTractor, outputs the Mandelbrot
> Set.  ASCII art output in version one, swapping in
> better graphics (deeper bit-wells) as the course
> progresses.

Here's some public-facing storyboarding showing these
concepts taking shape.  Of course there's conversation
to go with (memos 'n stuff).  Steve Holden wrote Python1-4
and Python5 continues in his footsteps, picking up on
already-introduced topics (e.g. arrays, complex numbers):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/sets/72157654417641521

Storyboarding is an approach I take to curriculum writing,
inspired by the film industry and comic books.

For example, one of my four Digital Math topic hoppers is
Martian Math [1], which I've test piloted around Portland,
Oregon over the years.

Here's some storyboarding around Martian Math which,
in my treatment, overlaps Python, as you will see in the
linked Table of Contents (Reed College experiment)....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/sets/72157624750749042

http://www.4dsolutions.net/satacad/martianmath/toc.html

Another test pilot project, me as mentor, University of
Portland:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/sets/72157630917499226

I expect to get to 3D graphics in Python5 thanks to
import visual.

Kirby

[1]   http://wikieducator.org/Digital_Math