[Email-SIG] question on syntax of 'group' in address-list

Glenn Linderman glenn at nevcal.com
Mon May 16 23:56:35 CEST 2011

On 5/16/2011 1:40 PM, R. David Murray wrote:
> I've gone through the RFCs and done some additional googling,
> and haven't been able to confirm the answer to this question: what
> exactly is the syntax when a group is included in an address-list? (See
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4).  The question is, if
> another address follows the group, are they separated from each other by
> ';' or by ';,'?  The ABNF seems to call for the latter, but I can't find
> any example showing it.  I'm sure that I should accept both on input,
> but I'd like to generate the correct form.  Does anyone have confirmation
> or contradiction for my interpretation?

The only instance of group syntax that I have ever seen used is when a
message has all Bcc: recipients, and the email client wants to stick
something into the To: line to be pretty.  I turned that off in my
Mozilla email clients after seeing it.  And so in that usage, the group
was never used with other recipients.

However, I totally agree that if it were, that the ABNF would call for
both ; and , as the ; is part of the group syntax, and the , is the
separator syntax.

Would look rather stupid, though.

--
Glenn