[EuroPython] EuroPython Legal Structure

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:12:21 +0100 (CET)

> If there's a positive balance, use that to start up a EuroPython organization
> which can then move on to organizing EuroPython 2003. Agreed.
>
> If there's a negative balance, we would of course love to make up for
> it and have it reach zero, but perhaps we should have somekind of clearer
> mechanism for this in place. This is the inherent risk basically of not
> having a EuroPython organization but using P3B. If we can get the budget
> group to take care of what happens with the money we should be able to
> avoid this scenario. As this might become very very messy with blame
> going both ways ('shouldn't have used the budget to fund the come-back of
> the Guido Dancers!' 'ah, but what about the woman in the cake then huh?',
> etc)

As usual, it's better to prevent problems than to deal with them when they
arise.

If everyone votes for using P3B, then fine. P3B people are indeed very
nice to offer to take the burden on their shoulders. But I would vote for
"let's make a specific europython org and use P3B if we need a legal body
in the meantime".

When it comes down to money, you always get problems unless stating all
the rules was the first thing you did (and even then). Nice'n cool hackers
or not. That's human behavior, nothing new about it. Let's hope for the
better and prepare for the worst.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais oł est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)