[EuroPython] Voting and my other opinions

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Sat Aug 16 13:27:33 EDT 2003

> > We could compensate for perceived and real increased distance by putting
> > some information on cheap connections on the homepage.

 From my location 1000km away from Göteborg, this is the kind of
work I could do for the conference. But we hardly need all the
details to decide location, right? The details won't be exactly
the same a year from now anyway. I certainly agree that it should
be on the Europython site when we start to advertise the event.

>Could anyone
> > whip up some figures on this?
>
>Ryan Air (www.ryanair.com) fly Göteborg once every day from Frankfurt
>Hahn (around 30 euro) and from London Stansted (around 40 euro). Advance
>bookings online seem to reach until July 2004 for the moment.

Except for Ryanair, there is also Sterling and Virgin to consider for
cheaper flights. I think it's easier for people to check their own
connections than to list a lot here. Brussels-Göteborg seems to be
67 euros with Virgin for instance.

http://www.sterlingticket.com/en/forside_en
http://www.virgin-express.com/home.html

This summer it's certainly been possible to get fairly cheap flights
with the mainstream airlines as well.

I assume people in Scandianavia know how to get to Göteborg, but of
course we can provide info on that as well. Stena Line runs ferries
to Göteborg from Fredrikshavn in Denmark and from Kiel in Germany.
There is also a Stena ferry from Gdynia to Sweden, but you have to
drive through Sweden. For those prepared to cross Sweden from east to
west by car, bus or train, there are also ferries from Turkuu, Helsinki,
Tallin, Riga, Klaipeda etc. There are more ferries from Poland and I
think from Germany as well. DFDS <http://www.scansea.com/> has direct
ferry connections from Newcastle in the U.K. and Kristiansand in Norway.

I'm sure I missed something...

These days there is also a bridge between Denmark and Sweden, for those
who want to get to Sweden from the continent without ferries or planes.
(There's always been a land route of course, but it's a bit long...)

Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyck&aring;), magnus at thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se
I code Python ~ The Agile Programming Language