[EuroPython] A bunch of questions

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:05:04 +0000

Heimo Laukkanen <huima@iki.fi> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:32:57 +0100
>> To: Paul Everitt <paul@eurozope.org>
>> Cc: europython@python.org
>> Subject: Re: [EuroPython] Version 0.0.1 of CFP announcement
>> From: Martijn Faassen <faassen@vet.uu.nl>
>>
>> [tutorials being associated by tracks and organized by track chairs]
>> This sounds like a good idea to me. Tutorials should still be in a
>> different
>> slot timewise from the tracks themselves.
>
> # Been a week sick, so catching up on emails, discussions and all the
>   work. Going to ask some stupid questions too. #

Any noise is reassuring...

Can we persuade you to register on the roundup tracker I put up:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/tracker/europython/

> Is there a full day track reserved for tutorials from the timetable at
> the moment on some day - and was there allready an agreement of the
> format of tutorials ( 30 minute, 2 hour? ,-)?

Nothing like this is fixed yet.  Last year we had a morning of
tutorials:

    http://www.europython.org/2002/sessions/timeschedule

> If all the tutorials share the same one track - how will it be shared
> between different categories. Any thoughts on that yet?

I think the idea is that each track can devote a bit of it's time to
tutorials if it so wants.  But I'm not too sure.  I'd like there to be
some for Python Language.

I'm currently planning to send a mail/pr around along the lines of
"tell us what tutorials you'd like to see".  Should we make this a
whole conference effort or should I just do it for my track?  I guess
Python Language, Python Frameworks and Zope are the most tutorialable
tracks.

(Draft attached to:
 http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/tracker/europython/issue19
 for the curious.  I need to put some more general info about EP, I
think).

> I'm asking because from my Zopish and Plonish point of view there
> might be interest to have quick tips and tricks sessions about CMF,
> Plone, Silva etc., in the same way as lightning talks - except that
> the presentations really only take that 10 - 15 minutes.

That would be cool, if different from last year.  I think the spirit
is: you're track chairman, do what you like.

> Ofcourse some subjects do require a longer time for tutorial, but
> then again there are a lot of things that could be explained in
> short periods of time.

Well, do both then!

> These tips&tricks sessions could make an impact even for quite
> newbie users in Zope world - and that sense this could be also a
> marketing benefit for the EuroPython. People who are starting to use
> Zope / Plone at their organisations could get funding to come and
> get even more info that they wanted. That is what happened to me,
> when I came to Europython 2002. Before Europython I thought Python
> as a necessary evil for Zope - and then I started to care more also
> for Python itself.

Cool!

> BTW. There are no benefits in conference fee for people who do
> lightning talks?

I don't think so.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Clue: You've got the appropriate amount of hostility for the
  Monastery, however you are metaphorically getting out of the