[EuroPython] Selling EPC on http://www.europython.org

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 6 07:29:59 EDT 2004

Do you do IRC?

Magnus Lycka <magnus at thinkware.se> writes:

> Right now, when Jacob's mail made me think that it would be
> really good to try to convince some people to attend EPC,
> I start to think about www.europython.org in a different
> light... Does it "sell" EPC to visitors? What sells EPC?

Probably not.  The website has suffered from a fair amount of
"bottom-up" design, now it needs a refactoring (or something :-).

> I think Mark Shuttleworth, rich as a troll on his Python
> programming, traveller to space and sponsor of education
> in Africa etc is a selling name.
>
> For Pythonistas, I think Guido van Rossum is a selling name.
>
> The front page doesn't mention either of them. I think
> it should. Can someone please make the names of the guest
> speakers clearly visible on the front page? (As in previous
> years...)

It does now.

> I also think they should be mentioned in the list of
> approved talks (they are, aren't they? ;)

Hmm.  This might not be totally trivial, as their talks aren't in the
talk database in the way others are.  I can fake it, I guess :-)

> and on the http://www.europython.org/current/ page which supposedly
> tells people everything they need to know about the event.

I always forget about that page...

> If we need more sponsors, I also think it should be clearly
> visible on the front page that sponsors are welcome, with
> clear and simple instructions of what to do. I know I've
> seen it somewhere, and after some browsing I found
> http://www.europython.org/conferences/epc2004/sponsors/
> but it wasn't as easy as I would have liked. I think we
> want a link to that page from the front page as well.

I've added a link under the sponsors' logos.  Seem like a good place
to you?

> If we want more sponsors, I guess we should change "no
> later than 1 May 2004" to something like "as soon as
> possible"... Rather than to mention an admin fee, we
> might want to raise all prices 100 eur now. May 1 has
> passed.

These are probably questions for Jacob...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Any form of evilness that can be detected without *too* much effort
  is worth it...  I have no idea what kind of evil we're looking for