[EuroPython] Talk list - different sorting

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 13 06:31:18 EDT 2004

Harald Armin Massa <ghum at gmx.net> writes:

> That said ... I imagined one of my customers reading the talks sheet,
> people from business. (Assuming they knew enough English) they would
> stop immediately ater "Design Patterns", if not at "Adaptation".;
> classifying the conference as "absolutely geeky" and assuming "I will
> not understand 3 words if I go there".
> So I suggest that we do just a resort in the presentation:

That sentence would read better if it didn't have "just" in it :-)

The tracks are in the order they come out of the tracks folder.

> put 2 out of (Business, Education, Science, Social Skills , Tutorials)
> on top
> put 2 others out of (Business, Education, Science, Social Skills ,
> Tutorials) on bottom
> Reading psychologie suggest that "casual readers" and especially
> scanners (which will be the majority on the internet) "read" the top
> and the bottom. Within one of the mentioned the probability that they
> recoginze more than 4 words is bigger.

I can sort the list alphabetically easily enough :-) Would that work?

Take a look now.

> Geeks anyway will dig deeper and find the more sophisticated talks in
> the middle of the list.
> AGAIN! I am not suggesting any rescheduling or priorization. I am only
> suggesting a more "common knowledge friendly sort order"

Thank you for even thinking about it!

  I'm about to search Google for contract assassins to go to Iomega
  and HP's programming groups and kill everyone there with some kind
  of electrically charged rusty barbed thing.
                -- http://bofhcam.org/journal/journal.html, 2002-01-08