[EuroPython] KeyNoters

Jacob Hallén jacob at strakt.com
Wed Apr 6 20:51:48 CEST 2005

Good to have a discussion going. I agree with a lot of what John, said, but I
do have a few other aspects I'd like to mention.

The first one is the marketing aspect. A keynote gives you a poster name, and
it matters in two ways. One is that an interesting sounding keynote will
actually attract participants and weigh in favour when undecided people make
up their minds. The other one is that in the view of the general public, the
prestige and seriousness of your conference is affected by the sort of
keynote speakers you have.

This is where I think Europython has done better than Pycon. We have had
keynote speakers (apart from Guido), who have talked about things that
transcend Python, and I think this has affected the whole spirit of
Europython.

My other aspect is that I think a keynote is the opportunity to be a bit
different from the regular talks. Most people go to Europython to work hard
and to listen to talks that will actually help them in their work, so after a
hard day of work, they should be able to settle down and hear something that
is entertaining, thought provoking and which does not have a direct bearing
on their everyday work.

This means that (to me) it is more important that keynote speakers are
entertaining than that they are relevant.

However, I respect that others have different opinions, and since I have
happily delegated this matter, I will respect whatever decision the
subcommittee makes.

Jacob