[EuroPython] What the heck does "pythonic" mean?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Apr 13 20:27:03 CEST 2005

Aroldo Souza-Leite wrote:
> having just *imported this*, I suddenly remember that you owe me a
> sonnet - the sonnet form being arguably the most pythonic of all
> established European verse forms. I beg your leave to kindly remind
> you that last year in Göteborg you promised to write the next one of
> the "Sonnets from Pythia", after Steve Alexander's "A Common Gateway"

I don't recall making any such promise; I missed your lightning talk
unfortunately, so I wasn't even *there*. :) Are you sure you aren't
confusing me with someone else, or are you just using a devious trick to
try to get me writing a sonnet? :) Writing sonnets is hard work...

> (which by the way has already been published by the Springer Verlag
> as the main part of some sort of sofware book now I can't remember
> what it is about, googable by "ISBN 3540223592").

I don't recall the book either, nor that Phillip von Weitershausen wrote
it. :)

> I'm sending a copy of this mail to the EuroPython list because the
> project "Sonnets from Pythia" happens to be an offical EuroPython
> cultural project I am coordinating, approved on last year's
> conference in the presence of both The Benevolent Dictator and The
> Pope by unanimous public acclamation. As a trained sonnet writer, I
> can offer you (or any further volonteers) my humble services to coach
> you in writing your sonnet in pythonically impeccable iambic
> pentameters - but I suspect you won't need much help there. Anyway,
> we can go through the technical details on our private mail channel
> from now on.

I know to write the sonnet iambic
is hard, so though, for hackers like myself
the topic software thought unpoetic
I cannot even rhyme for real with -self

Regards,

Martijn