[EuroPython] Social skills for the site

Beatrice Fontaine bea at webwitches.com
Tue Mar 8 10:16:25 CET 2005

As promised and finally delivered... Laura, I choose option 1 ("First of
all, you could simply mail your suggested new text to me (lac) or
jacob")

Title: if no one objects immediately, I want this one:

Social aspects and other general topics
Béatrice Fontaine

First presented in 2004 under the heading "Social Skills", this track
was intended to address a problem common to all communities of software
developers, a.k.a. geeks: that of having to communicate with other
groups/individuals who are driven by totally different priorities, such
as corporate/academic politics, finances, etc.

Since the track schedule was defined by its presenters as much as by its
attendees, it ultimately covered vital topics like software patenting as
well as the reality of selling your services, on top of the social
aspects of collaboration with other staff, and customers.

This year, the track has therefore been extended to officially include
"other general topics".

The following are on the most-wanted list today:

Social Skills:
- How to present and sell yourself?
- How to collaborate in mixed (tech/non-tech) teams?
- How do language problems affect collaboration?

Methodology:
- An invitation to all readers of methodological books to present their
own favourite and to explain which impact it had on their professional
activities
- Hands-on presentations of how new methods of work have been
implemented by development teams, and with which results (the bad ones
and the good ones!)

Politics of Open Source:
How are we affected by recent developments in the EU software patent
battle?

This is an open list and will, like last year, be stretched and ironed
to incorporate every useful and interesting topic you propose.

***

bea at webwitches.com
"I will, as we say in rock 'n' roll, run until the wheels come off,
because I love what I do." -- David Crosby