[EuroPython] [Fwd: Re: Registration payment details]

Jacob Hallén jacob at strakt.com
Fri May 26 19:30:41 CEST 2006

fredag 26 maj 2006 10:51 skrev Michael Hudson:
> Jacob Hallén <jacob at strakt.com> writes:
> > torsdag 25 maj 2006 11:50 skrev Dario Lopez-Kästen:
> >> Sorry, sent this accidentlally to Chris only, but it was ment for the
> >> list.
> >>
> >> /dario

My offer was to make sure it ran and was available, so it would not have to be
without me. However, there are people who should have no problems working
with it. Samuele Pedroni has written large parts of the application and there
are several people at Strakt who could have given a hand. Other people could
also rather easily get to understand the inner workings. Personally, I think
the learning curve is a lot less steep than with the Zope/Archetypes solution
we ran 2 years ago.

> > Now, all the mistakes have to be repeated.
> >
> > I forsee problems generating and distributing invoices, since this
> > is not part of the registration procedure in Indico.
> >
> > If there is no tested solution for generating badges, this may be a
> > headache.
>
> Indico supports a csv export of all the registrant info, so building
> our own solutions for this sort of thing should not be hard.  Has to
> be done, of course.  Is your invoice and badge solution sufficiently
> independent that we could reuse it?

The invoice solution is intergrated with my application, with invoices
generated in HTML. If it is of any help, the invoice template for nevow is
enclosed.

The badges were built using Reportlabs rml2pdf-tool, which is not opensource.
I don't think Andy will mind giving you a copy though. The sourcefiles needed
to generate the badges are enclosed.

> > I haven't seen any listings of presentations yet and I don't know to what
> > extent Indico supports planning and publication of a schedule and the
> > creation of a printable programme.
>
> It has some support.
>
> > I don't know what the plans are for allowing speakers to upload
> > their presentations and the attendees to download them.
>
> If necessary, I can do this in the same way it got done for the 2004
> conference.

Which was a makeshift solution that I was ashamed of.

> > I also don't know what the support for on-site registration is.
>
> A question for the CERN locals, I guess.
>
> > There is also a problem with the information available. There are no
> > clear instructions in the registration procedure for what you do
> > once you have said that you want to stay at the CERN Hostel (turns
> > out you have to contact them). Also, deadline for early-bird
> > registration is either tomorrow or was 2 days ago. And we don't even
> > have the courtesy of mailing last years attendees before the end of
> > the early-bird deadline.
>
> Fortunately, none of these things is quite true.

Good. They were true at the time of writing. I admire the efforts you, Paul,
Harald and some other people are making to save the situation. However that
does not change the fact that there are lessons to remember for next year.

> > Unfortunately I don't have the time to help, because it is plain to see
> > that help is needed.
>
> What would help is if you could answer Dario's emails about the
> EuroPython Society bank account.

Done. To make sure nobody interprets this as me having Dario wait for
information, I sent the response within 30 hours of receiving his email. It
took some time to gather the necessary information.

Jacob Hallén