[EuroPython] Videostreamin' ?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed May 16 00:55:10 CEST 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007 13:01, Christian Scholz wrote:

> I wanted to propose to stream parts of the conference live via internet
> and eventually Second Life. I'd bring the camera anyway and streaming
> can be done either via http://ustream.tv (very easy setup, just plugin
> the camera and click the Record button, flash plugin) and/or via
> Quicktime Streaming Server. The latter would be needed for livestreaming
> it into Second Life (which I would take care of).

Sorry to leave you waiting for so long without a response! As I've said in
various places, I think the FOSDEM videos were done very well, although I
only looked at the downloads - I don't know if they did actual streaming -
and I have seen streaming from conferences like aKademy done fairly well,
too. Here's a page I just saw about this very kind of thing:

http://wingolog.org/archives/2006/07/07/so-you-want-to-stream-a-conference

However, one very important aspect of the FOSDEM materials, and quite probably
the other materials too, was the open format employed. For many users,
Quicktime is either inaccessible or involves pacing on the version treadmill
set in motion by Apple. And whilst Flash is a widespread phenomenon, it too
has similar limitations.

This is only my personal opinion, though. If you're enthusiastic about
streaming stuff and this is the way you want to do it, then I don't want to
rain on your parade. However, if there's all sorts of additional work
involved (extra servers, more software), I'd rather see it directed toward
providing materials in open formats, myself.

This is an interesting idea, though, and I'd like to see it discussed further.

Paul