[EuroPython] wireless

Tobias Brox tobixen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 23:00:53 CEST 2009

2009/6/26 Geoff Bache <geoff.bache at gmail.com>:
> I'd really appreciate knowing as soon as possible whether wireless
> will be available
> in my tutorial (TextTest, in the CBSO on Sunday afternoon). I'd rather
> planned on
> participants being able to read online documentation, and there's always
> people who haven't installed the software beforehand as well...

In my experience, it can be quite useful and not so difficult to
arrange some backup plans:

1) what you really need is probably just a working intranet.  Some
laptops can be used as wifi access points, if one of the participants
can provide this you should be good.  Alternatively there exists light
weight "travel routers", though maybe it's a bit short time now to
search for such a thing.  Alternatively, "ordinary" access points are
cheap and can be borrowed or bought anywhere and should serve you
well.

2) GPRS/UMTS works almost anywhere.  It should be sufficient that one
of the participants have a cheap UK subscription and the possibility
to use it from his own laptop or share it out.