[EuroPython] Kamaelia Open Space?

Michael Sparks sparks.m at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:06:52 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've had a few people mention that wished they'd been able to make the
tutorial on sunday, but weren't arriving until later, and want to
gauge if there's interest from anyone in attending an open space
session on kamaelia, cherry picking parts of the tutorial?
Walkthrough, discussion or people interested in cannibalising it for
other stuff ? (Not the full tutorial obviously, though, that'd be
crazy :-)

If there is any, I'll put a session up.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's basically unix style
ethos in python, except generators/threads/processs instead of
processes, python objects instead of text streams & inboxes/outboxes
instead of file handles. ie Unix pipelines gives you concurrency more
or less for free, and I wanted the same in standard software, and
particularly python. Not really for the concurrency (though we were
dealing with naturally concurrent problems), but because it's
maintainable.

We recently realised that some of our higher level components boil
down to implementing bash/shell language features -- which isn't too
surprising when you consider that bash shell systems are basic
concurrency languages (one that just hopes no-one notices ;). If
anyone's interested in exploring that in python (kamaelia or
filterpype, or fibra, or stackless, or disco, or ...), the that'd be
interesting too.

More info on K here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/europython/2009-June/007343.html

Michael.