[EuroPython] [Europython-improve] can we discuss on ONE mailing list, please?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Feb 8 13:22:53 CET 2011

Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 13:36 +0000, John Pinner wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I agree with that too but some folks follow europython@ and other follow
>>> europython-improve. That's why i posted on both...
>>> I'm +1 on keep discussions on only one list. Wich one?
>>
>> europython-improve was started specifically for organisers to work on
>> - 'improve' - the conference. That is the one we should use.
>>
>> The plain europython list is for the conference delegates, many of who
>> seem to have a very low tolerance to email. Already today, with a
>> little flurry on the list, three people have unsubscribed. Many
>> unsubscribed last year in the run-up to EP2010, heaven knows how they
>> thought they could keep in touch with what was happening!
>
> I personally don't see much value in a *mailing-list* for delegates. In
> PyCon Italy, we have a mailing-list for organizers and a newsletter (=
> read-only mailing-list, if you prefer) for delegates/fans/followers,
> with a very low and clean traffic.
>
> By your description above, I propose that we simply turn europython@
> into a newsletter so that non-moderators can't post (and we can then
> link it with the "subscribe to newsletter" form in the website).

-1.

europython at python.org
  is for delegates to discuss things and for the
  organizers to reach out to delegates

europython-improve at python.org
  is for organizers and people wanting to
  help with the organization

It should be fairly obvious where to post a message, IMHO, and this
has worked out well in the past years we've been having an EPC event.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 08 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/