[EuroPython] Diversity of attendees

M.-A. Lemburg mal at europython.eu
Thu Apr 17 15:32:18 CEST 2014

On 17.04.2014 14:36, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 04/17/2014 01:24 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> In short, we'll have the EPS run the conference, with international
>> work groups doing the work that can be done remotely and the local team
>> providing on-site support. This will resolve the problem of losing
>> institutional knowledge every time we change location and greatly
>> reduce the risk a local organizer has to take.
>
> Very nice!
>
> An example of institutional knowledge getting somewhat lost is the duration of conference thing I
> recently talked about -- when I did the research on how the change happened, it's all a very logical
> step taken year on year based on the previous year's conference, and at least some people seemed not
> aware that it'd been 3 days for years before then.

If you're looking for information on previous conferences, you
should check this page:

http://www.europython-society.org/europython

As others have already mentioned, the 5 day event is a result of
integrating the tutorials which were on separate days before 2011
into the conference. This resulted in much better tutorial attendance,
so the integrated approach was continued.

> Of course that's hardly a serious case, but I do think that institutional knowledge you have more
> overview and therefore better ability to step back and take stock once every while.

Sure, we could try having separate training days again, but then we
would also have fewer talks. Perhaps we could do a poll at
EuroPython 2014 in Berlin to see what the attendees think
about it.

Personally, I prefer to have fewer parallel tracks and a longer
conference - you get to see more interesting talks and there are
fewer overlaps.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg