[EuroPython] Lack of diversity within selected talks

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Apr 18 19:10:42 CEST 2014

Martijn Faassen, 16.04.2014 15:53:
> I also agree that the double blind
> selection process does not fit the goals of EuroPython so much -- I already
> gave feedback on that elsewhere in this thread.

Agreed.

1) It didn't always work, because some proposals included references to
previous talks, links to prepared slides or because authors signed their
topics it's just obvious who's behind them. At least some of the reviewers
will always know.

2) I agree with Laura that it sometimes helps to know that the person who's
written the proposal is the best to give a talk on that topic, regardless
of what the proposal says specifically. Letting people represent their
topics in the community (i.e. giving well known speakers their play ground)
is IMHO as important as growing the community (i.e. getting new speakers in
because they add a value to the community and/or the conference in *some* way).

For me as a reviewer, it's helpful to see the names. Either I know them and
can make that part of my review decision, or I don't know them and can make
*that* part of my review decision. Or not, if the proposal is so good that
I don't need to think any further anyway, but that's surprisingly rare. As
long as it's clear to all reviewers that getting new people in is an
explicit goal of the selection process, I think having name and bio visible
would work better. And stating this goal publicly in the CfP might even
make it easier for first-time participants to send us a proposal at all.

In the worst case, there could still be a (soft) quota to limit the number
of recurring speakers. :)

Stefan