[EuroPython] conference length

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Apr 24 13:19:02 CEST 2014

Martijn Faassen:

> I'm trying to understand the intent your email. Are you telling some of us to just go away and do our own thing? This isn't an us versus them. We're not outsiders barging in; we're old friends. I do count as one of the people who has helped organize EuroPython in the past, just like you. So does Laura.

I'm not trying to put a dent in this, but I understood Carl in the sense of: there might not be any ideal solution to please all. So, instead of searching the one ideal solution that (as we know) doesn't exist, one could also try out other solutions optimizing a different set of criteria. Which would bring us nicely back to the current theme of "diversity", again.

After all, yes, it's good to discuss people's experience and match it with own's own and learn from that. But the purpose of learning something is doing (or not doing) something. And some people say that one can learn more from making mistakes than from not making them. And no, we don't build nuclear power plants. And yes, they haven't been discussed enough before they were built... And wow, there could be EuroPython barcamps and unconfs and hackathons and events not invented yet, if we can imagine them...

I-cannot-see-the-value-of-a-"GIL"-for-EuroPython-events'ly,

Dinu