[EuroPython] Work on Call for Participation for EuroPython 2015 has started

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Feb 1 21:42:54 CET 2014

On Saturday 1. February 2014 20.38.07 Danilo wrote:

> Am Sa, 1. Feb 2014, um 20:36, schrieb Paul Boddie:
> > There are, of course, big European community
> > conferences that seem to manage this, and maybe
> > their expertise can be drawn upon to
> > do the same for a Python-specific event.
>
> The 30th Chaos Communication Congress in Hamburg
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Communication_Congress) cost 80€
> for a regular ticket and 350€ for a business ticket, for a conference
> that took 4 days and had more than 9000 attendants. It had everything a
> conference needs: Crazy fast internet (100Gb/s up/down), recordings of
> all talks, catering, multiple tracks with talks etc... So it's
> definitely possible.

There's also FOSDEM this very weekend, although I'm not sure how the profile
of FOSDEM compares with CCC or with other events.

> On the other hand, there were more than 1000 volunteers that helped to
> run the conference. I think when focusing on creating a
> community-centered conference and actively encouraging volunteers, it is
> definitely possible to create a conference that is both big,
> professional and very affordable.

I completely agree with you, and the example you provide was one of the events
I was thinking of. But nobody should be under any illusion that this kind of
thing is going to happen without a lot of effort. (I guess the "30th" is a
good indication of that.) And I still think people should ask themselves
whether an event on that scale is really the kind of event they would like to
go to.

Paul