[EuroPython] Extra "Personal" ticket charge to Early Bird conditions on Monday

Alex Kavanagh alex.kavanagh at tinwood.com
Sat Feb 8 12:16:17 CET 2014

(long time lurker here ... )

If the early bird ticket sold out so quickly that usually means there is a
large demand for people to go to the conference.

If the conference is actually oversubscribed then there's not much point in
having early bird tickets as you could just adjust the price of the tickets
to ensure that as long as 75% are sold the conference will break even.  I
do wonder if a strategy for future conferences could be that the early bird
ticket price is set at a price where, if all are sold, the conference
breaks even + a bit, and the higher price is used to generate a surplus
that can go into a pot for other, conference related, spend (e.g.
bursaries, etc.)

Did last year's conference sell out?

I haven't been to a EuroPython for a few years because of the expense -
running a start-up - which failed :( - and now in another means funds are
tight - I wish I could afford to go too.

Kind regards
Alex.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> Hi Achim,
>
> On 8 February 2014 10:13, Achim Herwig <europython at wodca.de> wrote:
> > it seems to me that you did not follow this (admittedly very long)
> discussion.
>
> Previous conferences used to cope with the risk of suddenly selling
> all tickets at an early bird price.  It tells us that (1) either they
> had a trick that you don't have, or (2) more likely, it was a
> financial risk that smaller conferences can take, but the Berlin
> conference cannot any more due to size.  Which of the two options it
> is, needs to be clarified better than by using the words "child that
> can calculate" in a dismissive sentence.
>

> A bientôt,
>
> Armin.

Alex Kavanagh
Tinwood Ltd  --  Open Source Information & Communications Solutions
Delivering Freedom, Creating Value
w: www.tinwood.com
e: alex.kavanagh at tinwood.com
a: 20 Sefton Ave, NE6 5QR, Company No: 5233914 (Eng & Wales)

Sorry if you got this by mistake - please accept our apologies;
please let us know that this message has gone astray so we don't
do it again. Thanks.