[EuroPython] Extra "Personal" ticket charge to Early Bird conditions on Monday

Giovanni Bajo giovanni at pycon.it
Sat Feb 8 16:54:58 CET 2014

Il giorno 08/feb/2014, alle ore 13:39, Jacob Hallén <jacob at openend.se> ha scritto:

> lördagen den 8 februari 2014 12.32.41 skrev  Hynek Schlawack:
>>
>> Let's all be nicer to each other, hm?  We're on the same team.
>
> Hynek got it absolutely right. EuroPython is a community conference. It is run
> by volunteers for the community. When they make mistakes, we need to help them
> on the right track by offering constructive critcism.
>
> The mistake with the Early Bird tickets was that there was a limited number of
> tickets in each category, rather than a limited number of Early Bird Tickets
> for the entire pool. I'm sure the organizers will fix this. It doesn't make
> sense that you can still be a Corporate Early Bird, but not a Personal Early
> Bird.

But this is just a “political” mistake, so to speak, it doesn’t change things much budget-wise. I think the frustration is misdirected; there is nothing inherently wrong with the approach of selling a fixed number of early bird tickets compared to a fixed date. Obviously, the first system gives a simpler budget to work with.

The real (unfixable) problem is that the number of early bird tickets is probably too low compared to the expectations, as it doesn’t even cover aficionados willing to buy tickets before the schedule is out (in previous years, we were selling early birds up to 3 weeks after the schedule was published). As already mentioned by Marc-André and Jacob, the local organizers did absolutely *their best* to make the budget work, and we went through it multiple times as well. The venue that was chosen is in fact very expensive, and was chosen to accommodate the growth of the event, with the expectation of a jump when moving from a relatively small city (albeit very touristic) to a big European capital. The fact that they’re now putting 50 more early-bird tickets out, shows that they’re trying to fix the problem as much as possible.
--
Giovanni Bajo
EuroPython Society

EuroPython 2014