[EuroPython] Some general thoughts about EP2014 and future of EP

Reimar Bauer r.bauer at fz-juelich.de
Tue Feb 11 16:56:49 CET 2014

Am 11.02.2014 15:00, schrieb Filip K??bczyk:
> W dniu 11.02.2014 14:19, John Pinner pisze:
>> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>>
>> <snipped pointless bike-shedding>
>>
>> Please can we stop this destructive thread ?
>
> This thread is not destructive it is meant to make future EP
> better. Let's discuss things in the open.

Well then please change the subject line, it is your choice to alter it.

As I said before I am awaiting cronstructive help or a new proposal
for the next conference I want to join. And I am happy for anyone who
is doing a great proposal and has a team which fullfills all my wishes.

best regards

Reimar

>> Let us just accept that the 2014 organisers submitted an
>> excellent proposal, and that they are doing a cracking good job
>> in fulfilling that proposal.
>
> Please, don't let me remind how the process of call of proposals
> for EP2014/EP2015 looked like. EPS said that such process will
> start on Autumn 2012, and it started in May 2013 (after multiply
> delays and some of teams that wanted to submit proposals, resigned
> after half a year of asking when the call will start and how can
> they help). Then suddenly Python Verband appeared out of nowhere
> (where it was on Autumn?) and one of it's members was deciding in
> EPS board where to host next EP. Moreover till this day proposals
> weren't shown. Public doesn't know why Germany had better proposal
> than Belgium, what was in proposal etc. The whole process is very
> unclear.
>
>> For all sorts of reasons, geography, size of venue, relative cost
>> of living etc, they cannot meet everyone's perceived requirements
>> but are doing the best they can.
>
> I won't judge if they are doing best or not, because it's also
> very relative. I guess many or most of organizer are doing their
> best job, but we already seen calling other people "childish" or
> other rather aggressive reactions to normal (probably expected when
> organizing any conference) critic.
>
>> If this year's EP does not meet your requirements, you can
>>
>> * Put forward your own proposal for a future EP, or * Go to
>> another European Python event ( like PyCon { IE, UK, DE, FR,...}
>> ) there will be one to suit you somewhere.
>
> Of course, but we have right to express our likes or dislikes for
> certain things connected with EP2014. It's for the better
> experience of EP2015 and future editions.

> EuroPython 2014  Berlin, 21th27th July EuroPython mailing list
> EuroPython at python.org

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich