[EuroPython] Hey, what about the Zen of Python conferences?

Rob Collins rob.collins at pythonpro.co.uk
Thu Feb 13 16:22:12 CET 2014

Let's keep the affordable "community" origins of EuroPython.
*** *Simple is better than complex.* ***

Some people are asking for clarity and openness.
*** *Explicit is better than implicit.* ***
*** *If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.* ***

Some people are raising exceptions for discussion.
*** *Errors should never pass silently.* ***

The alternative to *EAFP* is *LBYL*, not *"Tough. This is how it is. Keep
quiet."*

So let's take a specific example: in the Verband conference proposal, under
"Expected differences from EuroPython 2010/2011/2012" they listed only two
items: Scholar students, and Barcamp. No mention of abandoning the binding
requirement to use the Python Italia website platform. No mention of
replacing community voting with a closed talk selection process.

I like the idea of everyone getting a say on all the talks proposed. Let's
apply the Zen of Python, and discuss why we can't still have community
voting for EuroPython 2014.

Rob Collins