[EuroPython] Hey, what about the Zen of Python conferences?

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Thu Feb 13 16:52:40 CET 2014

On 13 Feb 2014, at 16:22, Rob Collins wrote:

> I like the idea of everyone getting a say on all the talks proposed.
> Let's
> apply the Zen of Python, and discuss why we can't still have community
> voting for EuroPython 2014.

No, please *don’t*.

Feel free to start that discussion for 2015 (but *after* the 2014
conference), but *please* stop calling for action to heckle the current
organizers with discussion where absolutely nothing good can come out of
it except for more bad blood.  There has been enough of that.

A program committee is an absolutely valid choice that has been
practiced by PyCon US for years and it has produced exceptional
schedules; I have no reasons to doubt, that it will be different for EP
2014. If *you* have reasons to harbor such doubts, you should join as a
reviewer: https://ep2014.europython.eu/de/proposals/cfr/ .  The
organizers have made the choice to take up with more work for the sake
of a great schedule; we should respect that and not fall into their
backs, no matter what your opinion on the methodology is.

Closing, everyone overwhelmed with (out)rage should spend some time on
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PositivePython&f=realtime instead of
butchering each other here.  What has been exercised here in the past
weeks is a disgrace and not the Python community I know and love.