[Flask] Deploying Flask on Debian

Adam Steer Adam.Steer at anu.edu.au
Tue May 3 16:33:25 EDT 2016

Hi Alex

(noting also Anthony’s quick response)

I’ve just jumped through this same set of hoops, going from ‘no idea’ to ‘flask = deployed on WSGI’, on ubuntu (nearly debian) and CentOS.

After the fact, these docs make sense:

http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/0.10/deploying/mod_wsgi/

…but starting out I was completely at a loss about where to start. I think the Flask docs assume you just try it, and see :) So the examples are sometimes reliant on the developer  either already knowing a bunch, or trying things and learning by breaking things. Which is OK.

I drew heavily on the deployment style here:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-deploy-a-flask-application-on-an-ubuntu-vps

and here:

http://www.jakowicz.com/flask-apache-wsgi/

…but i did find the process pretty confusing. When I get into the office I can send some documented flask/wsgi/apache config files if that would help.

Just a quick note, it’s still helpful to use a virtual environment, because you never know when you might need to transport your app someplace else - and you can bundle up all the things your project needs.

Cheers

Adam