[getopt-sig] Command lines and GUI form generation

holger@trillke.net holger@trillke.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 01:21:19 +0200

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:54:59PM +0100, David Boddie wrote:
> This might not be strictly on-topic for this list, but I've been extending
> my previous work on command line syntax checking to cover simple GUI form
> generation.
>
>     http://david.boddie.org.uk/Projects/Python/CMDSyntax/
>
> The idea is to move towards unifying the command line and GUI, giving
> users access to tools which were previously inaccessible because they
> found using the command line too daunting or arcane.
>
> Is this useful to anyone out there?

Yes! Not for me as a user (i prefer the commandline) but for
programs i write.

Plus i would really like to use your extremely well
documented cmdsyntax.py for the cmdline-to-function
mapping. Thanks!

The idea of unification of command line and GUI sounds
very interesting to me, because:

- many people are used to GUIs (especially new python
  programmers coming from windows)

- GUIs provide a convenient interface if you have
  to instrument the script with many switches

- commandline is great for fast-typing people and when
  you know exactly what you want. Or if you need
  it for batched work.

What is everybody else thinking?

regards,

    holger