[group-organizers] Las Vegas Python Anyone

Albert O'Connor amjoconn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 14:38:28 CEST 2013

Morning,

I definitely agree with Jorge.

For WatPy we reached out to other local tech groups and had an initial
meeting, a fair number of people turned up and we talked about what we
wanted to work on.

Here are few other things which might be helpful:

a) You will need a way to keep people connected and announce events, some
people use Meetup.com, we used a mailchimp mailing list.
b) Having a website is a handy way to keep information about the group
together. The WatPy website is open source:
https://bitbucket.org/amjoconn/watpy/ though it is a bit rough around the
edges. Python Kansas City has a great looking website if you go the meetup
route: http://pythonkc.com/ - https://github.com/pythonkc/pythonkc.com
c) See if you can partner with local economic development/tech
organization, in Ontario there are regional groups focused on tech and
startups, they sometimes have resources to offer community groups.

Good luck!

Albert

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Jorge Vargas <jorge.vargas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'll give you the three things I think made us succeed in starting one.
> a) find an awesome venue that won't charge you. coworking spaces, companies
> that do python, universities are great venues that will probably not charge
> you.
> b) Make a small budget for food (specially if u are meeting on a weeknight)
> if you can afford it get some beer as well
> c) Find other local tech groups and go announce it there.
>
> I'll sneak in a 4th. Ask for help you will be surprised how much people are
> willing to give away in order to make your community grow.
>

> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Do something Artistic <
> vegasartist at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > Wrote to Jessica and asked her if she knew of any Southern Nevada python
> > groups she suggested I start one. I am new to programming and python but
> > would be willing to take on the challenge.
> >
> > Just want to know how others started their groups, what you do (do you
> > have meetings, classes,) and what resources you might have for starting
> up,
> > and how you promote your group. Thanks everyone. "What codes in Vegas
> stays
> > in Vegas."  ok I'm working on a catchy Las Vegas slogan, this is just my
> > beta version for now. Thanks all Jonathan.

><><><>< Albert O'Connor - amjoconn at gmail.com
albertoconnor.ca | watpy.ca | go-opendata.ca