[GSoC-general] Consideration for potential volunteer/ non-paid internship

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Wed Apr 11 16:36:30 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-10 11:47 AM, Rakesh Naga chinta wrote:
> I have not applied this year for GSOC 18 as I may not be available for
> the whole program as a "full time student". Hence, I thought of applying
> this year to your organization as a part time unofficial
> intern/volunteer where I can contribute and work on a potential project
> along with the other students being in my own personal interest.

Here's the thing about open source software: most of us are just random
volunteers.  Outside of GSoC, there is nothing special you need to do to
"sign up" you just show up and start doing things.  Projects have bug
lists and wishlists of stuff to do.  If people like what you're doing,
they'll use it, and if they don't sometimes they'll be able to help you
transform it into stuff that's more generally useful.

You don't need to apply, just find a project that interests you and
start writing some code (or docs, or draw logos, or do usability testing
or whatever).  Work with people as peers and strive to do good work. :)
I don't know that aiming for organizations doing gsoc is an ideal
strategy, since you might do just as well working with an organization
that isn't quite is busy, but really just find a group that interests
you so you'll stick with it.

We've got an article on picking a good organization to work with here:
http://python-gsoc.org/faq.html#choosing

And we've got some suggestions on where to get started here:
http://python-gsoc.org/#gettingstarted

But basically, just start fixing bugs and doing stuff and see how it
goes.  You've got this. :)

  Terri