[I18n-sig] Terminology gap

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:35:28 +0200

Toby Dickenson wrote:
> Ive recently been updating my documentation to account for Unicode
> issues, and have been troubled by the lack of a good name to describe
> an object that can be *either* a "plain string" or a "unicode string".

I usually use "8-bit string" and "Unicode object".
> My best attempt so far is to call it a "string-like object", but that
> feels too long for something so common.
> I would like to use the simple "string", but a quick poll of my local
> developers suggests that this does not convey the unicode option.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think the accepted term is "string", since someday Python will
have a string base class. Unicode objects and 8-bit strings will
then be subclasses of this string class.

Marc-Andre Lemburg
Business:                                      http://www.lemburg.com/
Python Pages:                           http://www.lemburg.com/python/