[Idle-dev] IDLE is spoiling Python image!

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:17:32 -0400

> I believe this is more important for Python as a language than MOST
> other features or missing features of IDLE combined, because IDLE can't be
> used for non-latin1 works AT ALL.

Of course, that depends on how large the fraction of IDLE users is
that have this need.  Here in the US it is perceived as near zero.  Of
course in Russia it is perceived as near 100%, since Cyrillic is not
part of Latin-1.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but I
want to warn you that you are probably exaggerating the importance,
world-wide, at this moment.