[Idle-dev] Hide code? / Breakpoints with IDLE?

James P Gray jamespgray@juno.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:53:13 -0500

> On your question about breakpoints under windows, I do almost all my
> coding
> on idlefork under linux and freebsd, with just an occasional test
> run on
> windows2000 to see if something looks right, and I haven't looked
> into the
> debugger yet (it's been broken in idlefork since before my time) so
> I can't
> really help you there.  There might be someone else on this list who
> can
> chime in on this subject though.  Anyone?

Under Idle 0.8 (that shipped with Python 2.1) & Windows 2000.  I was able
to set break points and they work (ie stop the program at the given line
of code).  The same option is available in Idlefork (version 0.8.1).  The
option is there, but I don't think it does anything (in Idlefork) since
the color of the line does not change.

In either version if you right click on a line of source code a menu
appears with the single option "Set breakpoint here".  I imagine this
must be similar to the Linux functionality.

I'm not sure what is required to get the debugger working again (why else
have breakpoints).  I imagine it will be a considerable amount of work.
So I guess the question is where to start?

-James