[Idle-dev] printing in IDLE

tpc at csua.berkeley.edu tpc at csua.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 8 17:20:26 EDT 2004

I was curious if any of you knew how to disable "Ctrl-P" being mapped to
'print automatically' in IDLE.  In the past few weeks I have inadvertently
printed over one hundred pages from IDLE on a laser printer because in
the middle of coding when switching between windows I get easily confused
between the keystrokes to paste in gnome terminal, Xemacs, and IDLE
(<Shift-Insert>, <Ctrl-Y>, <Ctrl-V> or <Ctrl-Y> respectively) and the
keystrokes to call up previous or next commands in IDLE history (<Alt-P>
and <Alt-N>) and I think subconsciously my brain is accustomed to having a
finger on <Ctrl> and then I press 'P' when I want to call up the previous
command in IDLE.  I usually am unaware of what I have done until my boss
comes to me with a sheaf of papers in his hand and complains about the
large print job.  I told him I could disable printing in IDLE but I tried
"Options/Configure IDLE/Keys/print-window - <Control-Key-p>/'Get New Keys
for Selection' & 'Select As New Custom Key Set'" to no avail.