[Idle-dev] Python Core Dump

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Wed Nov 23 23:11:13 CET 2005

Fuzzyman <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:

> I did wonder if the traceback is because the crash happens in the
> subprocess - meaning that the communication channel breaks - causing the
> traceback. That is pure conjecture though. :-)

The code in question is executing in the GUI.  But see below.

The exception may be coming from the subprocess because it's having
problems communicating with an unresponsive GUI.

>>Is this Exception reproducible? How long after the crash does it
>>appear?  Are there any other symptoms to the crash?
>>

> Happens every time.
>
> The traceback occurs almost instantaneously on the crash (a memory
> location could not be read error).

So there is other information available related to the crash?  Please
post it.  Is it reproducible?

>>I gather you never see 'WSAStartup failed' except in this case.
>>

> Never seen it before.
>
>>Is "Got here too." always printed?
>>

> Yup
>
>>Does the ImportError always appear?
>>

> I never actually see the ``ImportError``, it's obviously being trapped
> and the exception occurs somewhere else. So I need to track down where
> the crash happens - presumably in ``EditorWindow.open_module``.

Ah, the crash occurs while producing the ImportError dialog (which is
raised by the very next line of code after your print statement)?

Can you restart the subprocess by using Ctrl-F6 after the crash, or is
the GUI completely dead/frozen?

What happens when you run IDLE w/o the subprocess by using the -n switch?

--
KBK