[Idle-dev] Location of configuration files

Jason Doucette jason at jasondoucette.com
Tue Oct 18 21:17:53 CEST 2005

Kurt,

> GvR recommends that Python be installed at toplevel.  Especially when
> using the command line, the space in "Program Files" causes problems.
>
> You'll find that even Windows by itself sometimes has problems with
> that space when you are running a command window; you need to quote
> the silly thing.

Yes, it's give and take...

I hope GvR understands this type of installation is not standard, and not
what the user expects.  Doing something the user does not expect is an
indication something is likely broken.

(e.g. This essay by Joel Spolsky shows a great example of him breaking his
own design principle:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/UsabilityTestingwithMorae.html
"...The program design violated a principle I wrote myself in big bold print
in my own book: it didn't do what you expected...")

Regarding all the 'bad' about the spaces in file/directory names, I am not
sure how this differs much from other OS's.  The biggie is that "Program
Files" is the default/expected install location for most software, so nearly
all of it is put through the 'test', where it can be avoided on other OS's.

I believe an important issue is that developers should test their software
under "Program Files", since this is the likely install location some
customers will want -- as it is best to be bitten by the annoyance during
development, than during that first install of a customer who does not like
cluttering the root directory.  Installing Python into "Program Files" will
help force this to occur.

>> Kurt, I notice the .idlerc directory on my Windows XP box is located
>> here:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\.idlerc
>>
>> Shouldn't this be:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Application Data\.idlerc
>>
>> (I apologize if I am missing something for being 'out of the loop'.)
>
> Yes, that might be even better.  Send a patch?

Ok, I have NO experience with creating / sending patches.  I will try and
look into it if I have some time.  For now, should I post a bug within the
bug database?

--
Jason Doucette / Xona.com
www.jasondoucette.com / www.xona.com