[Idle-dev] Some implemented ideas that may help IDLE, request for feedback

Bruce Sherwood Bruce_Sherwood at ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 18 02:44:30 CEST 2009

I don't have a problem with it being an option to have the error window come
forward, and we can argue about what the default should be. But I'd like to
explain in some depth how extremely important this is in certain environments.

Ruth Chabay and I have developed an alternative curriculum for the introductory
physics course taken by engineering and science students in their first and/or
second year in the university (see http://www.matterandinteractions.org). This
new curriculum emphasizes a 20th-century perspective on introductory physics, in
stark contrast to the 19th-century perspective that has been traditional for
over 50 years. One of the implications is that computational modeling plays an
important role in the curriculum, with students writing Python programs to model
physical systems (actually, VPython, a 3D programming environment; see
vpython.org). This is a vitally important innovation, because computational
modeling is now central to all engineering and science but has hardly penetrated
the undergraduate curriculum.

Almost all of these students are very knowledgeable in the use of computers
except for one type of use: programming. So every semester there are thousands
of students writing VPython programs despite having no previous programming
experience. This is feasible thanks to the cleanliness of Python, and the fact
that we need teach only a very small subset of the language, just sufficient for
our purposes, and to the fact that VPython generates navigable 3D animations as
a side effect of computations.

These novices need all the help the environment can give. A continual major
problem is that a student will stare without comprehension at a halted animation
without realizing that the halt is due to a program error, because the shell
window is hidden behind the animation window. It is really really really
important for the shell window to come forward when there is an error.

Thanks to those who have responded to Guilherme's summary of new features, it is
evident that there may be sophisticated users who would be inconvenienced by
this change, so it makes sense for it to be an option. I would argue strongly
that the default should be to bring the shell window forward, as Guilherme has
now implemented, because the sophisticated user can deal with the issue, whereas
the novice user is unlikely even to look at the configuration options in IDLE.

Bruce Sherwood