[Idle-dev] Submitted Guilherme Polo's enhancement

Bruce Sherwood basherwo at ncsu.edu
Fri Oct 15 06:24:32 CEST 2010

Ned Deily's note (repeated here) made me think that I should not
submit a patch for 2.7 because he has reason to believe that the
problems aren't with IDLE.

Bruce Sherwood

In article
<AANLkTikfi_3Ch1GweXY4TQEmJ-1qjkN4wJoo+COij4T_ at mail.gmail.com>,
 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Is there any chance of getting these changes into 2.7 as well? There
> will be bugfix updates for 2.7, and David Beazley just tweeted about
> how the IDLE experience with Python 2.7 got much worse compared to
> 2.6.

In his tweet he is referring to Python 2.7 on OS X.  Perhaps he's
running into the problem documented in http://bugs.python.org/issue9227
which is that the IDLE in the new-style 64-bit/32-bit python.org
installer variant  ("10.5+") is broken on 10.6.  The workaround is to
use the other ("10.3+", 32-bit only) OS X installer for 2.7.  The
changes here aren't fixing bugs on OS X and I'm not aware of any other
IDLE OS X regressions between 2.6 and 2.7.   If there are, I hope
someone opens issues for them.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org