[Idle-dev] IDLE going forward

Robert sigzero at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 22:58:37 CET 2011

It was suggested in another Python newsgroup that IDLE has flaws. Yes,
I know, hard to believe that software has flaws, however, out of that
was born a desire to clean up the code cruft etc. in IDLE.

Two things that came out generally were:

* Update the UI (use ttk widgets etc.)
* More tests and automate testing
* Clean up the code

What else would you like to see? I was said that Python (and IDLE) are
going to Mercurial at some point, so maybe that would be a good time to
start the effort.

It will be a bit for me. I have some learning to do before I try and
tackle this. I think it would be a good way for me to continue to learn
about Python, unit testing, UI design and code refactoring.

So chime in with your suggestions!

Thought: Should this just be an effort for IDLE in P3 going forward so
that focus can be had?

--
Robert