[Idle-dev] I18n of IDLE's interface ?

Roger Serwy roger.serwy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 16:36:28 CEST 2013

On 04/17/2013 06:45 AM, Todd V Rovito wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2013, at 6:47 AM, Olivier Berger
> <olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
> <mailto:olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu>> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've filed a wishlist at : http://bugs.python.org/issue17760 about the
>> potential need for translated UI elements in IDLE. In our case, french
>> would be an example language.
>>
>> It was suggested to me to forward the request to this list.
>>
>> I hope this is not a FAQ (although I'd be surprised to be the first to
>> raise this need), as I haven't checked the list archives.
>>
>> I'm sure some may object in the line of
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue17760#msg187088 but I find it a bit odd to
>> force this on users... which are free to set their system's locale to
>> english if they *do* want to force Python beginners to learn english.
>>
>> FYI, we for example have the oportunity to teach Python to all students
>> in some classes in France (CPGE), and although they may have also some
>> honest english curriculum too, I'd expect their computers to have some
>> french locales, and the discrepency may look a bit surprising to some
>> (whether or not these english strings only makes Python look more or
>> less "sexy" is to be determined ;-).
>>
>> I haven't investigated how IDLE handles UI elements, but could volunteer
>> for helping on translations to french of any messages in .po or likes,
>> of course.
> I think multi language support is a great idea but I have no idea how
> difficult implementation will be.  It is great that you have
> volunteered to help because we need all the help we can get.  I am a
> mentor for Google Summer of Code and perhaps I can add multi-language
> support as a stretch goal to the project.
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2013/python-core

There is a project on Sourceforge that translated IDLE into Turkish, but
I haven't tried it yet: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyidlelif/

IDLE has a lot of hard-coded phrases scattered throughout the code. It's
perfectly doable to add multi-language support. However, keep in mind
that Tk itself has a problem with non-BMP unicode characters. See
http://bugs.python.org/issue14200 which provided a work-around.