[Idle-dev] Updates to the IDLE Dev Guide

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 10 08:33:00 CEST 2015

On 5/9/2015 9:10 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> On 5/9/15 4:30 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> The 'minor updates' listed in http://wiki.tcl.tk/21276 are new
>> features from a Python perspective.  Tkinter will need to be updated
>> to use some of them.
> I believe those changes are all new with 8.6.0 (released in December
> 2012), not 8.6.4. In other words, yes, those are new features, not minor
> updates, and Tkinter should support them, but they have been present and
> out in the wild for more than two years.  I'm a bit surprised that no
> one in the Python community has tracked these developments. Does Tkinter
> have a lead maintainer?

Serhiy Storchaka currently.  He currently works on other modules, but I
presume continues to look at tkinter issues when they arrive.  I am
thinking of posting to pydev to make sure that there is no policy
against tracking new features, and if not, open a master issue pointing
to updates page and listing tk changes that need action.  I believe that
new option values like PhotoImage(format='png') work already because
'png' just gets passed on to tcl/tk, without tkinter knowing about
allowed values.  I am not sure about new option names.

--
Terry Jan Reedy