[IMAGE-SIG] Spatial histograms

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Well, there's probably a few thousand ways to interpret "image
> segmentation" (I had edge following methods in mind, which is
> what the PW module supports), but that doesn't stop me from
> wanting to see that line. Please ;-)

Here's one:
	dark, light = where(greater(picture, .5), 0, picture)),	\
                      where(lessthan(picture, .5), 0, picture))

Hell, here's a few thousand:

	for th in arange(0,1.0,.0001):
		dark, light = where(greater(picture, th), 0, picture)),	\
	                      where(lessthan(picture, th), 0, picture))

untested, but who needs testing anyway <math.pi/4.0 wink>

Before this degenerates too much, my only point is that I can't think of a
single image segmentation routine which will satisfy 95% of the users (the
other 5% will never be satisfied anyway).  For example I believe it was
AMK who wanted to do OCR -- an image segmenter for OCR purposes will be
different than an image segmenter for robot vision, face targeting, tank
recognition, weather-map creation, etc.

Way too much text for such a small point.

--da

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org