[Fwd: Re: [Image-SIG] Re: libjpeg and friends: binary distribution for Windows?]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Nov 8 23:17:18 CET 2004

[Forwarding to the list, as I replied to Fredrik directly, in error]

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>

>>For some reason the PIL Windows installation (both 1.1.4 and 1.1.5b1, installed from binaries for
>>Python 2.3) appears to require the jpeglib and zlib libraries.
>

> what binaries are you talking about?  the pythonware.com/effbot.org
> kits are fully self-contained (as dumpbin can tell you).
>
> </F>

Hmmm, in that case I'd appreciate some help discovering why my PIL
installation won't run. When I run

     python -c "import _imaging"

in a command interpreter window I get a dialog box entitled "python.exe
- Unable To Locate DLL" containing the alert "The dynamic link library
libjpeg.dll could not be found in the specified path: (followed by a
long list of path directories). When I dismiss the dialog, python
reports "ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be
found."

Things seemed (though it's a while ago now, so memory may be faulty) to
go wrong when I installed 1.1.5.b1, but I have since fallen back to
1.1.4 and I'm still seeing the same problem.

Fortunately I can still run the code under Cygwin, but I have a
suspicion there's something head-smackingly obvious wrong here, and I
don't know what it is.

regards
  Steve
--