[Image-SIG] Re: libjpeg and friends: binary distributionfor Windows?]

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Nov 9 10:39:33 CET 2004

Steve wrote:

>> what binaries are you talking about?  the pythonware.com/effbot.org
>> kits are fully self-contained (as dumpbin can tell you).
>>
>> </F>
>
> Hmmm, in that case I'd appreciate some help discovering why my PIL
> installation won't run. When I run
>
>     python -c "import _imaging"
>
> in a command interpreter window I get a dialog box entitled "python.exe
> - Unable To Locate DLL" containing the alert "The dynamic link library
> libjpeg.dll could not be found in the specified path: (followed by a
> long list of path directories). When I dismiss the dialog, python
> reports "ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be
> found."

there's no trace of a "libjpeg.dll" file on the machines I use to build and
test PIL and the distribution kits, so I think I would have noticed a libjpeg
dependency... ;-)

try running

    python -vv -c "import _imaging"

and make sure that the PYD file it tries to import really is the one that comes
from the PIL installation kit, and not some old cygwin or activestate (or what-
ever) build.