[Image-SIG] PIL and multithreading - is it possible?

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Fri Nov 12 13:50:46 CET 2004

Hello everyone,

my program extensively loads images during user interaction (e.g. image
browsing, zooming of multiple images etc.). I now do all of this in the
main thread. But I would rather like to load/scale/crop etc. all the
images in the background, using an event when an image has been
processed completely.

However, in some posts I found via Google it seems that PIL holds the
global interpreter lock during important operations, making
multithreading nearly impossible. Is this still true for the current
version? Is there a patch available how this could be changed?

Markus