[Image-SIG] Re: fits format in PIL

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Apr 18 21:11:37 CEST 2005

In article <4263FCA9.2060108 at slac.stanford.edu>,
 Johann Cohen Tanugi <cohen at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I googled a bit without much luck so I figured I would post the question
> directly here : does PIL support FITS image? If not yet, is there a team
> working on it?

It does not directly support FITS. One simple technique is to use pyfits
to read in the data, then display it using PIL. At least it's simple in
regards parsing the FITS data; if you a have high dynamic range image,
as is typical for FITS data, then scaling the data to display anything
meaningful to the user is another story.

Some resources:
- Astronomical Python (link to pyfits and other utilties):
http://www.astro.washington.edu/rowen/AstroPy.html>
- Sample grayscale image viewer (still being worked on but quite
functional) RO.Wdg.GrayImageDispWdg in RO package:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/rowen/ROPython.html>
- matplotlib includes an image viewer. It is rather slow but might prove
useful.

-- Russell