[Image-SIG] Need help installing PIL 1.1.5 on OSX (LONG)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Sep 22 20:29:15 CEST 2006

On 9/22/06, Jack Wu <wulabs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> I used this package:
> PIL-1.1.5-py2.4-macosx10.4.zip
>
> It was an OSX GUI installer, which completed successfully.
>
> "This leads me to believe that you're not loading the installed PIL
> when running this selftest.py. The PIL on that page definitely works
> fine, and it's got nothing to do with 10.3.9. You should try actually
> using it."
> -Ok, I installed it already....hence my previous email where I stated
> that the _imaging.so package in my main Python directory changed sizes
> to 931KB.
> Are you suggesting I run self-test.py from inside the
> "PIL-1.1.5-py2.4-macosx10.4.zip" package?  What directory would that
> be in, as all I see is a single package file, and it doesn't give any
> documentation as to where it installed PIL?

It installs it to the site-packages directory. It actually will tell
you exactly where it's going to put stuff if you click "customize" and
read the descriptions for the component packages.

There isn't a selftest installed. What I suggested was trying to
actually use it. My guess is that something in your PIL source
directory is getting imported instead of the installed verison, so the
selftest there fails.

If it still doesn't work, then install the legacy package, which was
built and tested with the exact platform/python combination you're
using.

> "-rw--w----   1 bob  admin  1770444 Apr 19 09:23"
> What file is this?  Is my _imaging.so supposed to be 1770KB?

Yes. Perhaps the installer in Mac OS X 10.3 does arch stripping though.

-bob