[Image-SIG] Anyway to keep ICC profiles intact (e.g. sRGB)?

Frédéric frederic.mantegazza at gbiloba.org
Tue Jun 3 14:46:00 CEST 2008

Le 3/6/2008, "Karsten Hiddemann" <mail at karsten.name> a écrit:

>> I've been using PIL for some time now and it works very well to rescale
>> and watermark images, however recently I've noticed that it doesn't
>> preserve ICC colour profiles.
>
>Maybe these links are what you are looking for?
>
>http://trac.gbiloba.org/ImageCms/
>http://www.cazabon.com/pyCMS/

Unfortunally not. ImageCms (based of pyCMS code) can't read/write
profiles. It can just convert an image from a color space (using a
source profile) to another one (using a destination profile). But you
need to provide both profiles.

I plan to add support to be able to convert using the embedded profile as
source profile, but it needs to be read in PIL, which is not the case.
But have a look in this list archives: Florian Höch wrote a patch
against 1.1.6 to do that. I just tried it, but don't use it in ImageCms
yet.

I would love to see such patch included in the official release. And I
think it could be great to be able to write back profiles too, so it
could become easy to keep profiles during read/write.